Biblionasium is a free, protected social network for children ages 6-13 designed to engage, encourage and excite children about reading.
Kids read better when they do it consistently and as part of a peer community. The engaging and challenging environment of Biblionasium provides the tools and support to make a real difference in building interest in reading for pleasure – and a life-long love of books.
Unlike any other child’s online reading community, Biblionasium links parents, educators and young readers through a unique collection of tools, games and community-building experiences. And it’s all safe; kids can’t sign up or participate without permission of a parent or supervising educator (teacher/librarian/other).
How can Biblionasium help build stronger readers?
- Build bookshelves
- Young readers get their very own virtual bookshelves where they (and you) can catalogue and keep track of what they’re reading and what they’ve read, as well as favorites books and books you own.
- Make connections
- With your approval, your child can connect to friends and family to share favorite books and get recommendations for new reads from people they know and people you trust. You can also connect online with your child’s teacher to collaborate in helping your child become a stronger reader.
- Create reading challenges
- Parents know best how to motivate their own children. Enter reading challenges and set goals onsite for your young reader and decide what small reward would be most motivating.
- Review book summaries and help guide your child to select books that “fit” their reading ability
- Thousands of youth books are summarized and their Lexile® measure is provided to help choose books that are at the appropriate reading levels for your child. For more information, please see the section on "Reading levels" and why they matter.
- Partner with your child’s teacher, librarian or other educator
- You can connect with your child’s educators so that together you can develop a great and motivated reader. Have online access to their recommended, required and favorite book lists.
- Track success
- You can can review your child's online reading logs and bookshelves and assess their reading progress.
- Help your child keep organized
- No more misplaced reading logs or reading assignments! Everything is safe online at Biblionasium and accessible anytime to you and to your child’s educators.
- Coach with attitude
- Biblionasium mascot and reading coach Chip Manzee motivates and entertains kids, challenging them and rewarding good reading behavior